"You're allowed to be humiliating, degrading and hurtful. I'm allowed to petition you to at least recognize what you say and be aware of the option you have to stop." Tim Shriver

Sunday, June 3, 2012

'I don't want a retard' ---Margaret Cho

I apologize in advance for the cruelty and ignorance of these words spoken by Margaret Cho, "My period comes like twice a month.  My eggs are jumping ship.  Seriously, they're like, 'the last one out's a retard.'"




As reported by Fox news, Cho made the insulting comments while appearing on Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live" talk show hosted by Andy Cohen on May 30, 2012.


About six months ago I was watching "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and Kim Zolciak used the R-word multiple times.  I emailed Andy Cohen (he produces the show along with many other Bravo reality shows) and asked him if he could please bleep the R-word out and reasoned that as a gay individual, he would probably be offended watching a show that used the F-word (f*g) to describe homosexuals and that many people are just as offended by the R-word.


I didn't get a response to my email or request, but when watching "The Real Housewives of New Jersey", Joe Gorga used the R-word in a text and his sister-in-law and brother-in-law had a discussion about how people shouldn't use that word. Since then, I have not heard the R-word used on Bravo.  Possibly thanks to Andy Cohen's intervention?  Maybe. I hope so and if it was because of him, I thank him sincerely.  


This latest use of the R-word on Bravo was during a live telecast and you can watch what happens (no pun intended) here on Breibert.com.  The live audience laughs, but Andy Cohen does look rather uncomfortable and Rosie Pope looks at Cho with shock.  


Cho then says, "I get worried about that, as an older woman, I don't necessarily want to have a retard."  


Cohen shakes his head back and forth and eventually says, "You can't say that.  You can't say that."  


Cho was on the show to promote her new comedy tour ironically titled "Mother."  


As of June 1, 2012, Cho had posted two apologies on her blog.  The first apology is short and seems forced.  The second apology seems somewhat more sincere, however, I will not be purchasing any tickets to see her comedy tour.

3 comments:

  1. you give andy too much credit. watch the aftershow where cho continues to use the "r" word. andy hides his laughter behind his cue cards.

    you can view the clip on bravo's website. it's the aftershow with subtitle "cho...regrets". fast forward to about 6:24.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I think you may be right. The audience's laughter is also very disturbing.

      Delete
  2. Just Started to watch he move "remember me" with that guy from twilight and in the first 20 minutes his little sister is calling him retarded. This is a child actor saying those words from her script. I cannot believe. I deleted it of my DVr. Disgusted

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment and thoughts. We read every comment. Comments left by "anonymous" will no longer be published, but will be deleted.